37 on 3/7
SOME THOUGHTS AS I TURN 37. YUP, THAT'S SO NEAR 40.
BY RICA PERALEJO
In no particular order, I just started jotting down some thoughts as I was approaching 37.
- The older I get the fewer things I hold precious. Is it really this way? That I will grow less and less in holding too many things dear until I hold nothing more but Jesus?
- The older I get the less absorbed I want to be about myself. (Never thought it would come. Thank God I am finally free of this debilitating condition.)
- I wanna tell the young to invest. Not only for herself, but for how she will want to change the world. She will need money for that and so I wanna tell her, “When you invest for yourself, also invest for others.”
- Every ten years my body tells me it is passing away. It tells me I am not in control. At 25 it was my metabolism. At 37 it boils down to simply not being able to stay up so late at night.
- It is never too early or too late to think about the next generation.
- I am somewhere in the middle of life and this means that the old people are dubious to trust me completely. They think I am not yet old enough to know what is best, and the young feel like I am no longer relevant to understand their present day issues and language. I am still getting used to not being completely cool and awesome while also nowhere ancient wise.
- There are far too many variables in one’s wish to have a husband and many children. I wanted it at 18 but everything only fell into place at 28. Desires do not call the shots. But God’s Will determines every single thing.
- So many things I did in my 20’s are still affecting my life now. Some good, some bad.
- I should have spent less time on the wrong boys and wrong pursuits, and wish to have wanted to change the world sooner.
- Young people, keep building your faith for health.
- Also, build life-giving habits that you can commit to for the rest of your life. Like reading the Bible and exercise.
- Agahan ang skincare. Tama silang lahat na mga tita at nanay natin, pramis. Never too early to start skincare, but I can’t say the same for starting too late.
- I find myself speaking to an imaginary audience of young people. I am always transferring some knowledge even when no one is asking. Yup, I must be old.
- Which means, self-awareness must be polished.
- Or people could just choose to be more merciful to me.
- I am beginning to be deeply set in my ways and it is scaring me.
- I always thought I am the type to say never to say never say never. (I know it sounds silly but you get the point.) But now I think I get it.
- I need to be more urgent and deliberate about my relationships.
- By this point, one could probably fixate on past glories that seem to have slipped away. It is then imperative that we have a good grasp of our future glory.
- God’s mercy and redemption is more important than ever. Some mistakes catch up and they can drown me to think this defines the remaining stretch(es) of my life. I have to keep thinking about God as the only qualifier.
- I have so many regrets, but also, so much hope.